5.19.2013

Catholoic Nuns in Mormon Country

A couple months ago, I met two Catholic nuns, Sister Natasha del sol Eucaristico Caycedo and Sister Teresa de Jesus Ventura, while I was shooting an assignment for the paper at a Catholic church in Orem. After talking to the nuns for a few minutes - they're from Columbia, here in Utah for a few months - I knew I wanted to do a story on them. The high majority of people in Utah County are Mormon, and LDS temples are everywhere. By my count, there are only 3 Catholic churches in the County. There used to be a Catholic Monastery further north, but it closed some years back because of how few Catholics there are in the area. Meanwhile, these two young women are on a mission in the most heavily Mormon state in the country. Read the article I wrote to go along with the photos  here.


1 comment: